Chicken-Mushroom Dinner Soup Is Filling, Nourishing, and Soothing

After I've been on a plane for hours, racing through airports, changing planes, and finally reaching my destination, I'm tired and hungry. I feel the same way after a long car trip. When I check into my hotel there are only three things I want to eat -- soup, a roll, and a glass of wine.

comfort food




Sometimes I have dessert, but this is rare for me. Before I order, I ask about the soup of the day. I also ask if the soup contains any soy protein because I'm allergic to it. Over the years, I've slurped some mighty tasty soup, and chicken is one of my favorites, including Goulash soup in Yugoslavia and mushroom soup in Poland.


Now that I'm my husband's caregiver I have less time to make meals from scratch. Still, I want to prepare tempting and nutritious meals for my husband, who is paralyzed. Both of us like soup and the other day, when dark clouds were rolling in, and a storm was about to strike, I felt like soup. Dinner time was an hour away and I wondered what kind of soup I could make.

Fortunately, I had a rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator and two cans of mushroom soup in the pantry. A half hour later, fragrant mushroom soup with lots of chicken was simmering on the stove. My husband and I are salt sensitive, so I buy reduced sodium canned soup and salt-free broth. Mushroom soup can have a grayish color and, to give it more color, I added some carrots and tiny peas.

Personally, I like shredded chicken better than chunks. After I shredded half of the rotisserie chicken breast I had about two cups of meat. You may want to add more shredded chicken. Adding the sherry removes the canned taste of the soup. If you like mushrooms, you will enjoy this quick soup recipe, an ideal dinner after a busy day.

INGREDIENTS
8-ounce box button mushrooms, brushed clean with a paper towel
4 tablespoons butter
26-ounce carton no-salt chicken broth
2 10 3/4-ounce cans reduced sodium mushroom soup
1/4 petite carrots, sliced into tiny coins
1 cup tiny frozen peas
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded chicken (1/2 rotisserie chicken breast)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 tablespoons extra dry sherry (optional)

METHOD
Cut the mushrooms into thin slices. Melt butter in large pan and cook mushrooms over medium heat until they start to brown. Add the chicken broth, the undiluted canned soup, carrots, peas, shredded chicken, and Italian seasoning. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cover the pan and simmer the soup for 15 minutes to cook vegetables. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the dry sherry. Serve immediately with crackers or crusty bread and a glass of wine if you wish.

Comments