Secret Ingredient Spaghetti Sauce: You're Going to Love It!

Before I share my original recipe with you, I have to admit that I've used commercial ones. These products are good and, even better, there are many varieties to chooses from. It's comforting to have a jar of sauce on the shelf, yet I miss making my own sauce. I can control the ingredients and love the way the kitchen smells when the sauce is simmering.
spaghetti recipes

Just the other day, an urge to make sauce came over me, and I couldn't shake it. Maybe I felt this way because the sky was dark and the day was gloomy. After checking the pantry, I assembled a few ingredients--a can of tomato puree, a medium-sized onion, and some dried Italian herbs. The sauce was delicious and we had it on spaghetti, with a liberal amount of shredded Parmesan cheese.
I froze the leftover sauce for another day.
That day came sooner than I expected. Family members were coming over for a picnic summer. I planned to grill steak until I saw the meat prices, so it was back to burgers. To make the burgers special I made some barbecue sauce, prepared a bacon, lettuce, tomato and pasta salad, and made a layered casserole of zucchini, sliced onions, frozen corn, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Thanks to my homemade tomato sauce, the casserole was a hit. Something was different about the sauce, yet the flavor difference was subtle and hard to detect. What was the secret ingredient? It was pepperoni, chopped so finely that the bits disappeared into the liquid. Serve the sauce with your favorite pasta or create a vegetable casserole like I did.
This recipe would make a thoughtful gift for a family member or friend. Ladle it into a tall glass jar or plastic storage dish. Tie a bow around the top. Add a card with the name of the sauce and the date you made it.
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil (I use extra light.)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 28-ounce can tomato puree (I buy the brand with the least salt.)
5 ounces sliced pepperoni, chopped very finely
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt (may be omitted)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
METHOD
1. Pour olive oil into soup pot and set over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring every now and then, until onion bits
are soft and starting to brown.
3. Add all remaining ingredients. Put the lid on the pot and turn heat to lowest setting.
4. Simmer sauce for 1 hour to blend flavors, or transfer to a slow cooker, set the heat on low, and simmer for 5-6 hours. Freeze leftover sauce.


Comments