Recipe for Shrimp Avocado Salad

One of the things I most want to concentrate on this year is getting back to basics. When it comes to food, the "basics" are removing as much processed food as I can from my diet. I'm trying to make every snack, meal, and drink benefit my body in some way. The more "whole" or "from the earth" a food is, the more nutritional benefits it has.
avocado salad

This recipe was a product of my wanting a quick, vitamin-dense lunch that I could make early in the week and pack in a hurry. I had most of the ingredients on hand already, but shopped for a couple of additions. This is the result. Aside from the nutrition at the end of the recipe (including over 5 grams of monounsaturated "healthy" fat), this dish is loaded in potassium, B vitamins, iron and selenium. Selenium is one of those minerals you don't hear much about, but it helps bolster your immune system and can help raise your good cholesterol for a healthier heart.
SHRIMP AVOCADO SALAD
1 tomato, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
½ cup dry barley
3 Tbsp Light Raspberry & Walnut salad dressing (or other light oil-based dressing
8 oz shrimp, cooked
Cook barley according to package instructions. Toss together tomato, avocado, shrimp, and cooked barley. Chill. Mix in 1 Tbsp dressing (per serving) just before eating. 3 servings.
Nutrition (per serving)
calories - 319
saturated fat - 1.4 g
monounsaturated fat - 5.2 g
sodium - 236 mg
fiber - 7.3 g
protein - 21 g


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Betsy_McGuire/1068404

Comments