Strada Breakfast Casserole

Here is my version of a breakfast casserole of eggs, cheese and bacon with a the doughy bottom. After tasting what a friend had prepared for us while in the States, I needed to come up with an international version instead of an American one. I wasn't sure what the bottom bit of the casserole was made up of. I thought perhaps, Biscuit, an American-cooks helper and something I can't get in France.
breakfast

My spirits sagged when I thought this might be the case because I thought I had a fantastic American winner that I could whip back up upon my return to France and impress those refined and delicate French palates.
Ah, you didn't realize, huh, that I have to play the gourmet chef from both ends. Yes, I do. French people come to my house expecting me to impress them with real American food, not just hamburgers and peanut butter sandwiches. Yes, breaking the "American's can't cook/have no traditional meals" is a tough one to overcome in culinary-superior France. But, that is another subject for another article. Back to the Stada Breakfast Casserole.
I took another bite of this recipe and sighed that sinful sigh again. Maybe I could make homemade biscuit dough and spread it on the bottom of this dish. I just had to get this recipe! This wasn't needed because the bottom of the casserole is simply crusty French bread! That's easy.
There's more beauty to this dish. First of all, you make it at least the night before you are going to serve it. That's good to know because I'm not much of one to get up at 6 am to cook breakfast for my overnight French guests! Secondly, it uses easy to find ingredients. Nothing too fancy and you could substitute if you can't find bacon.
Breakfast Strata
Make the night before you plan to serve. When ready to cook, preheat over to 350°F / 180°C.
  • 9 X 13 (inch or 22 x 33 cm) baking dish, greased
  • 6 slices white bread, buttered on 1 side ( can use Italian bread and sliced into 1 1/2 inches)
  • 2 cups or 150 g American-style cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups or 310 ml milk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash of pepper
Layer pan with grease, buttered side up. Sprinkle bread with shredded cheese. In a blender or large bowl, mix well the last 4 ingredients. Pour egg mixture over bread and cheese. Cover and ref. over night. Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cook bacon or sausage, may be added when cheese goes in.
Anne Dessens is the founder of AnneDessens.com - your one-link to everything 'self-improvement': diet, recipes, running & walking, deep breathing, success, journaling, energy and universal laws.
To learn more about how to improve your diet today, increase your energy and live a more conscious lifestyle, please 



Comments