German Pancake Recipe - A Lot Like a Popover

I serve a wonderful German Pancake to company with a kiwi and a dash of powdered sugar for artistry. I don't just make it for company though, it is really easy so I in fact serve this yummy delight quite a bit. Below is my recipe.
pancake recipe

I have no idea if this recipe is German or not, I am not even sure I would call it a pancake. I guess it it cause you top it with syrup. Is that what makes a pancake pancake?
Humm the dictionary defines pancakes as a thin, flat cake of batter, usually fried and turned in a pan. Pancakes are usually eaten with syrup or rolled up with a filling. Or as a noun a short stack of pancakes with maple syrup hotcake, flapjack, griddle cake, crepe, blintz; latke, potato pancake.
Blintzes.. umm, now those are darn nummy! I make cheese blinzes on occasion with cottage cheese or ricotta, an egg, vanilla and a tad of sugar tucked inside a folded up crepe. I top that with sour cream that has a tad of sugar and vanilla to it, along with some strawberry jam. I like mine with jam. I guess that's just me.
OK. back to my German Pancakes, that is a lot like a popover, because of all the eggs and the way it rises.
"German Pancakes"
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. sugar
Mix all ingredients until un-lumpy. Grease two pie pans and pour a cup of the mixture into each pan. (I could have said add one half of batter to each but whatever right?) Bake at 450 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. Top with butter and jam or pancake syrup, or do as I do and serve it with a kiwi or some other fruit. Hey, a strawberry and kiwi would be really pretty for the holidays in December no? Add the powered sugar and it will look like snow! I love it!




Comments