Avocado Recipes for Those That Do Not Like Avocado

Frankly, I do not like avocado. But, I marvel at the enthusiasm of those that do. I scratch my head when I hear others rave about avocado. I am not sure if it is the taste or the color that I dislike. There just seems to be something about green food that makes me want to run the other way. However, I like lettuce, cucumbers and other green vegetables so maybe it is the flavor that bothers me.
avocado recipes

Avocados are said to be a healthy food source so I checked it out. With just two minutes research on the internet I found the following:
1. Avocados are beneficial in fighting some cancers (prostate, oral and breast)
2. Avocado helps lower Cholesterol
3. Avocados are beneficial for heart health and stroke prevention
4. Avocado is the best fruit source of vitamin E
Now, I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While I would love to have the health benefits of avocado, if they exist, I am more concerned with something that taste good. Avocados are not cheap. It seems that something that carries such a premium price must be good. I want to like avocado. So, I put together recipes for two of the more popular avocado dishes and guess what? They are pretty good.
I found that adding a little spiciness and dill weed to guacamole and avocado dip resulted in a dish I liked. So here are the recipes. If you are sensitive to spicy foods reduce the quantity of the spicy ingredients as noted in the recipes.
Guacamole
Ingredients:
* 4 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
* juice of 2 lemons
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
* 1/4 cup red onion, diced (you may substitute regular onions)
* 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
* 1 tomato, diced
* 3 jalapeno peppers, minced and seeded (use one if you are sensitive to spicy)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* dash of Chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
* Salt to taste
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice with avocados and mash coarsely with a fork.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients except salt to the avocado mixture, stirring until well combined.
3. Taste and add salt to your preference, stirring well after each addition of salt.
3. Refrigerate for 15 - 30 minutes prior to serving.
Avocado dip
Ingredients:
* 3 ripe avocados (peeled and mashed)
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tomato (finely chopped)
* 2 packages (8 ounce each) cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (reduce to a dash if you are sensitive to spicy)
* 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (eliminate or reduce to a dash if you are sensitive to spicy)
* 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
Directions:
Combine mashed avocados, lemon juice and tomato and mix thoroughly. Blend remaining ingredients in separate bowl then fold in avocado mix. Chill for 1/2 hour before serving.
Makes about 4 cups.
The dip may be served with tortilla chips or your favorite chips. I tried it as a salad dressing with just plain lettuce wedges and loved it.
My favorite use of the guacamole is to serve on toasted garlic bread or sour dough bread. Also very good as a topping for baked potatoes and much healthier than butter and sour cream.
So, give these recipes a try. Maybe...you just might like avocado after all.



Comments